From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:25 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Eyes-Free Text Input on iOS

I have been following this thread with interest and curiocity. While I can
read braille, I have hand injuries which prevent me from using any app which
uses braille input, however, I find it strange how Ryan's proposal seems to
be received in a somewhat negative way. Yes, there are already 2 or maybe 3
such apps out there, but why not support what Ryan and his team are doing
and then judging whether their app is good or not. Considering how many
audio recorder, notetaking, navigation/GPS apps are out there (and these are
just 3 areas, I could name many more) what is wrong with having
alternatives? Maybe Ryan and his team are going to release an app which is
just going to blow all the others out of the water, maybe it's more or less
the same and maybe it's a total flop; but to point out that he should have
done his research as there are already 2 apps out there and speculating that
it probably won't be very good because it's done by a bunch of students
instead of a programmer with 30-year experience I find strange. Anyhow,
while this programmer may have written code on an early DOS machine or maybe
a Commodore, he or she certainly doesn't have 30 years experience with
writing iOS apps since it's only been out for 7 years.Some kid who started
writing apps at 15 would now be more or less ready to graduate university at
22 and could have written iOS apps for as long as iOS is around. Anybody who
wants to know about the app and find out how it differs or is going to
differ from MBraille could just sign up for the testing since I assume the
app is not completely done and ready for prime time in which case they could
have just released it informing the Viphone community of its existence.

Anyhow, just some thoughts and I do hope Ryan finds some people who will
participate in a constructive way and I wish him luck. After all, consider
how you would like to be treated were you in his place doing something like
this as a university project.