Yes, if you just sign into any Mac or iOS device with your account, any data
you had synced will appear. This won't sync installed apps, but basic content
and even some data in supported apps will all work fine.

For mail, you need an iCloud account. You create one by, as you said, checking
the "mail" checkbox in iCloud settings. Confusingly this will technically be a
second Apple ID, so you will not be able to use this new address as your ID to
replace the one you use now. Still, the process is simple enough.

I am not sure how well iCloud.com works for contact editing, but you can go in
and give it a try as soon as you enable contact syncing over iCloud and let
your phone push its content to Apple's servers. If you use Outlook, I believe
Apple offers iCloud integration via their iCloud Control Panel; you could
manage contacts that way if the website doesn't work out.

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com