And I would be interested in knowing how well this app will work with my
5th generation ipod touch or my ipad mini? I don't have an iphone.
On 7/4/2014 9:17 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Hi David,
I assume we listened to the same recording. I did not find the
presenters to be all that evasive when it comes to currency. They simply
said that at this point the app did not recognize money, but that maybe
down the road it would. In any case, with an app like LookTel Money
Reader which supports quite a few currencies and works so well I don’t
think it’s a big deal whether the KNFB Reader app does that or not.
I don’t want to endorse the app before it’s available or before we know
how much of a premium they will charge and I do want to point out that I
am not a beta tester, but I must say that I look forward to finding out
how much it will be and of course to hear a well-done Podcast and user
feedback about it.
One thing I have been meaning to find out and maybe you know this is
whether Prizmo and Text Grabber do the recognition on the phone or
whether the image is uploaded, recognized on a server and the text is
sent back. They did mention that KNFB Reader does not require a data
connection to work and that is certainly good, but as I said, I don’t
know if the other popular apps share this ability.
Regards,
Sieghard
*From:*[email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] *On
Behalf Of *David Chittenden
*Sent:* Friday, July 04, 2014 5:51 PM
*To:* [email protected]
*Subject:* Re: NFB app?
I listened to the privately recorded Audio Boo of the KNFB Reader
presentation which was announced and linked to on Top Tech Tidbits.
1) The presentation was a first-rate demonstration of showmanship. It
was very obviously completely pre-rehearsed, such that the presenters
were able to present 100% flawless scans with perfect first-time images
whilst properly exciting / working the crowd. All the items scanned were
preselected, so the presenters obviously knew the items would work. The
recognition speed was the same as the speed in TextGrabber.
So, what does KNFB Reading Technologies contribute to the OCR arena?
Aside from the fact that they are a company focused specifically on
blindness access (which will make them far superior to everybody else in
some people's eyes)? It appears that KNFB Reader is primed to take the
picture whilst the iOS device is laying flat on the page. After
activating the onscreen button, one lifts the device until the camera
automatically activates. Therefore, the image is either assessing blank
white space, page edge detection, or both.
Given the cheerleading and the lack of specific detail given in the
presentation, I will bet KNFB Reading Technologies will be charging a
significant premium for this implementation of the technology. I do hope
I am wrong.
Oh, one final note, the Reader will not support currency in its initial
version, and the presenters were evasive about if and when such may
become available in the future.
David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone
On 5 Jul 2014, at 3:08, "Fred Olver" <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Did anyone catch the presentation from the NFB convention this
morning on their upcoming app for scanning? Was a price given? Is
there a place where one can go to listen to it later?
Fred Olver
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fred.olver
Skype: Fred.olver1
For more information about my book which is available in accessible
formats go to: http://www.dealingwithvisionloss.com also available
as a kindel download from amazon.
--
The following information is important for all members of the
viphone list. All new members to the this list are moderated by
default. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of
this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate,
please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting
on the list itself. The archives for this list can be searched at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
The following information is important for all members of the viphone
list. All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you
have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives
for this list can be searched at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
The following information is important for all members of the viphone
list. All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you
have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives
for this list can be searched at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
The following information is important for all members of the viphone list. All
new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have any
questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a
member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators
directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for this list can
be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.