Thats a good question.
Here are some search results about this.

     If your iMessages didn't transmit as SMS when iMessage was
     unavailable for use

1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send as SMS and turn on Send as SMS.
2. Select your phone number when Sending iMessages in Settings >
   Messages > Send & Receive > Start New Conversations From.
3. Make sure that you can send SMS with Settings > iMessage turned off.

   If you want to transfer your SIM card or phone number to a device
   that doesn't support iMessage

Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage if you plan to transfer your SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that doesn't support iMessage. If you don't, other iOS devices might continue to try to send you messages using iMessage, instead of using SMS or MMS, for up to 45 days.

   If you can't send and receive SMS

You will need these to send and receive SMS:

 * An iPhone
 * A strong cellular network connection through a cellular network
   provider <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937>
 * A domestic SMS plan from your cellular provider (You might need an
   international messaging plan to send SMS to an international
   contact. Contact your carrier <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937>
   for more information)
 * A roaming SMS plan when you use a cellular provider's network that
   is different from your billing cellular provider's network (Learn
   more about roaming <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1807> and contact
   your carrier <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937> for more information.)

     To resolve issues sending and receiving SMS, follow these steps

1. Go to Settings and turn airplane mode
   <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355> off.
2. Make sure that you have a cellular network signal in the status bar
   of your iPhone. If there's no signal, learn more about
   troubleshooting no service <http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4429>.
3. Restart <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430> your iPhone.
4. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.
5. Remove <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5163> your SIM card and insert
   it again.

     If you still can't send or receive SMS, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact who's trying to message you isn't blocked
   <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5845> in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
2. Make sure that you're using the area code with the contact's phone
   number. When sending messages internationally, you also need to use
   the contact's international code.
3. If you're using a "Pay as you go" SMS plan, make sure it has enough
   available balance. Contact your carrier
   <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937> if you're unsure of your SMS
   plan or the available balance.
4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up
   <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766> or forward
   <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3529> important messages and delete
   your current messaging threads <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3529>
   with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
5. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and
   recreate the contact from the Contacts app. Send a new message to
   the contact.
6. Back up and restore <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766> your iPhone
   as new.
7. If your carrier has recently ported your phone number, the porting
   process might not be complete. Contact your carrier to confirm that
   the porting process is complete.
8. Contact your carrier to confirm that you're provisioned for sending
   SMS and are in an area with cellular coverage.
9. Contact your carrier to verify there are no blocks or filters placed
   on your wireless a