I'm cautiously optimistic. I have been able to send 4 text messages in a row for the first time. I usually use Siri to do this via dictation from the locked screen. I have only been able to send 1 out of 5 prior to this. So, the scrub and re-install may have worked. I'm still having problems making calls from the locked screen using Siri, getting either no response or the low-pitch beep. But I'm told that things may take up to 24 hours for the dust to settle. I have only met one person who hasn't given me the impression that the lights weren't on and even this person wasn't hopeless, we just didn't have a good fit. I had one guy go to his lab to check out what he was telling me about what to look for in iTunes since I'm not at all familiar with it (I wasn't until the end of yesterday), and I'd call that above and beyond. That's more than 3 people who have been good over the last year and only 1 who wasn't. That's a very high rating from me.
Hope this helps.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Fischler" <brianfisch...@me.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: iOS 8.1 Gets A Release Date, Will Feature Apple Pay

Did the restore solve the majority of your issues in IOS 8? If that is the case than I will call them, unfortunately the times I have called them I seem to get the moron who will walk me through my issues and claim they are not getting the problem that I am, and since I can hear what they are doing and I do not hear VoiceOver on there end I have asked are you doing what I am telling you with VoiceOVer on, and they say no, but that would be a good idea. This has happened with multiple people on the accessibility line. Bewilders me.