Before this recent series of upgrades, the 2.2.x versions, book titles,
author, reader and length used to be announced consequtively. For example
(and I don't recall the exact order) you would hear something like this:

Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett, narrated by John Lee, 36 hours 51 mins

Now all of this information is presented on different lines like this:
Edge of Eternity
By Ken Follett
Narrated by John Lee
36 hours 51 mins

If you started a book, it would be like this:
Edge of Eternity
By Ken Follett
Narrated by John Lee
Progress 10%
33 hours 9 mins left

I agree that as a Voiceover user it was easier and faster to navigate one's
booklist the way it was before. If you want to go through your list by
dragging your finger around the screen it appears that thie information is
contained mostly on the right half of the screen, you just get what I call
the "nothing beep" when you move your finger around on the left side. I
would have to ask a sighted person how this is presented visually, I assume
maybe it's made to look like little book covers or something like that.