On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 03:04:37PM +0200, Liran Alon wrote:

> >> That’s one reasonable option.
> >> Another one is that we will indeed change the mechanism by which we
> >> determine a VF should be bonded with a virtio-net device.
> >> i.e. Expose a new virtio-net property that specify the PCI slot of the VF
> >> to be bonded with.
> >>
> >> The second seems cleaner but I don’t have a strong opinion on this. Both
> >> seem reasonable to me and your suggestion is faster to implement from
> >> current state of things.
> >>
> >> -Liran
> >
> > OK. Now what happens if master is moved to another namespace? Do we need
> > to move the slaves too?
>
> No. Why would we move the slaves?

The reason we have 3 device model at all is so users can fine tune the
slaves. I don't see why this applies to the root namespace but not
a container. If it has access to failover it should have access
to slaves.

> The whole point is to make most customer ignore the net-failover slaves and
> remain them “hidden” in their dedicated netns.

So that makes the common case easy. That is good. My worry is it might
make some uncommon cases impossible.

> We won’t prevent customer from explicitly moving the net-failover slaves out
> of this netns, but we will not move them out of there automatically.
>

> > Also siwei's patch is then kind of extraneous right?
> > Attempts to rename a slave will now fail as it's in a namespace…
>
> I’m not sure actually. Isn't udev/systemd netns-aware?
> I would expect it to be able to provide names also to netdevs in netns
> different than default netns.

I think most people move devices after they are renamed.