On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 3:56 PM Eli Cohen <e...@nvidia.com> wrote:

> [...]

It's an open question. E.g do we want a stable API for the those
statistics counter? If yes, it's better to not to let the parents to
report a subset but then it forces the exact same counters to be
supported by other vendors. If not, it should be fine. For any case, I
think it's simpler to start with "vendor-stats" and we can switch it
to a standard way if it was agreed by every vendor.

> > > May be. Lets evaluate if stats of this patch are generic enough or not.

> > > I did consider this option a while back. Shows indices are equally useful.
> > > I think we should show that as vq info, along with other VQ attributes
> > > (addr, len).
> >
> > That may work but it looks to me the receiced_desc/completed_desc is
> > also per vq.
> >
> > Another question is that is it more useful to use buffers instead of
> > descriptors? E.g how indirect descriptors are counted.
> >

> I think it's descriptors so indirect descriptors are counted once but I
> need to verify that.
>
> > > $ vdpa dev show vq
> > >
> > > But showing indices are not less statistics and more current state of the
> > > queue.
> > > For example roll over of the indices won't cover absolute number of
> > > descriptors processed for the queue.
> > > And even if we make them u64 (not good), non_developer end user needs to
> > > keep using side calculator to count the delta.
> >
> > How about exposing those raw indices via the protocol and letting the
> > vdpa tool calculate for us?
> >

> counters are 16 bit per the virtio spec so I don't know how you could
> handle rolover without losing information.

So at most 1 rollover I guess. So it's not hard by comparing the
indices. E.g the if last_avil_idx(device avail idx) > avail_idx, we
know there's one?

Thanks