On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 2:24 PM Si-Wei Liu <si-wei....@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 8/22/2022 8:26 PM, Jason Wang wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 1:08 PM Zhu, Lingshan <lingshan....@intel.com>
> > wrote:

> > The problem is the hardware still needs a way to know the endian of the
> > guest?
> Hardware doesn't need to know. VMM should know by judging from VERSION_1
> feature bit negotiation and legacy interface access (with new code), and
> the target architecture endianness (the latter is existing QEMU code).

> > Probably, I agree it is a corner case, and dealing with transitional
> > device for the following setups is very challenge for hardware:
> >
> > - driver without IOMMU_PLATFORM support, (requiring device to send
> > translated request which have security implications)
> Don't get better suggestion for this one, but I presume this is
> something legacy guest users should be aware of ahead in term of
> security implications.

Probably but I think this assumption will prevent the device from
being used in a production environment.

> > - BE legacy guest on LE host, (requiring device to have a way to know
> > the endian)
> Yes. device can tell apart with the help from VMM (judging by VERSION_1
> acknowledgement and if legacy interface is used during negotiation).
>
> > - device specific requirement (e.g modern virtio-net mandate minimal
> > header length to contain mrg_rxbuf even if the device doesn't offer
> > it)
> This one seems to be spec mandated transitional interface requirement?

Yes.

> Which vDPA hardware vendor should take care of rather (if they do offer
> a transitional device)?

Right but this is not the only one. Section 7.4 summaries the
transitional device conformance which is a very long list for vendor
to follow.

> > It is not obvious for the hardware vendor, so we may end up defecting
> > in the implementation. Dealing with compatibility for the transitional
> > devices is kind of a nightmare which there's no way for the spec to
> > rule the behavior of legacy devices.
> The compatibility detection part is tedious I agree. That's why I
> suggested starting from the very minimal and practically feasible (for
> e.g. on x86), but just don't prohibit the possibility to extend to big
> endian or come up with quirk fixes for various cases in QEMU.

This is somehow we've already been done, e.g ali ENI is limited to x86.

> > I've tried something similar here (a global mandatory instead of per
> > device).
> >
> > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/6/4/26__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!NRQPfj5o9o3MKE12ze1zfXMC-9SqwOWqF26g8RrIyUDbUmwDIwl5WQCaNiDe6aZ2yR83j-NEqRXQNXcNyOo$
> >
> > But for some reason, it is not applied by Michael. It would be a great
> > relief if we support modern devices only. Maybe it's time to revisit
> > this idea then we can introduce new backend features and then we can
> > mandate VERSION_1
> Probably, mandating per-device should be fine I guess.

> > This looks too heavyweight since it tries to provide compatibility for
> > legacy drivers.
> That's just for the sake of extreme backward compatibility, but you can
> say that's not even needed if we mandate transitional device to offer
> all required interfaces for both legacy and modern guest.
>
> >   Considering we've introduced modern devices for 5+
> > years, I'd rather:
> >
> > - Qemu to mediate the config space stuffs
> > - Shadow virtqueue to mediate the datapath (AF_XDP told us shadow ring
> > can perform very well if we do zero-copy).
> This is one way to achieve, though not sure we should stick the only
> hope to zero-copy, which IMHO may take a long way to realize and
> optimize to where a simple datapath passthrough can easily get to (with
> hardware acceleration of coz).

Note that, current shadow virtqueue is zerocopy, Qemu just need to
forward the descriptors.

> > I think the answer is no since the spec allows transitional device.
> > And we know things will be greatly simplified if vDPA support non
> > transitional device only.
> >
> > So we can change the question to:
> >
> > 1) do we need (or is it too late) to enforce non transitional device?
> We already have Alibaba ENI which is sort of a quasi-transitional
> device, right? In the sense it doesn't advertise VERSION_1. I know the
> other parts might not qualify it to be fully transitional, but code now
> doesn't prohibit it from supporting VERSION_1 modern interface depending
> on whatever future need.

We can ask ENI developer for their future plan, it looks to me a
legacy only device wouldn't be interested in the future.

Zongyong, do you have the plan to implement device with VERSION_1 support?

> > 2) if yes, can transitional device be mediate in an efficient way?
> >
> > For 1), it's probably too late but we can invent new vDPA features as
> > you suggest to be non transitional. Then we can:
> >
> > 1.1) extend the netlink API to provision non-transitonal device
> Define non-transitional: device could be either modern-only or legacy-only?

According to the spec, non-transitional should be modern only.

> > 1.2) work on the non-transtional device in the future
> > 1.3) presenting transitional device via mediation
> presenting transitional on top of a modern device with VERSION_1, right?

Yes, I mean presenting/mediating a transitional device on top of a
non-transitional device.

> What if the hardware device can support legacy-compatible datapath
> natively that doesn't need mediation? Can it be done with direct
> datapath passthrough without svq involvement?

I'd like to avoid supporting legacy-only device like ENI in the
future. The major problem is that it's out of the spec thus the
behaviour is defined by the code not the spec.

> > The previous transitional vDPA work as is, it's probably too late to
> > fix all the issue we suffer.
> What do you mean work as-is,

See above, basically I mean the behaviour is defined by the vDPA code
not (or can't) by the spec.

For example, for virtio-pci, we have:

legacy interface: BAR
modern interface: capability

So a transitional device can simple provide both of those interfaces:
E.g for device configuration space, if it is accessed via legacy
interface device know it needs to provide the config with native
endian otherwise little endian when accessing via modern interface.

For virtio-mmio, it looks to me it doesn't provide a way for
transitional device.

For vDPA, we actually don't define whether config_ops is a modern or
legacy interface. This is very tricky for the transitional device
since it tries to reuse the same interface for both legacy and modern
which make it very hard to be correct. E.g:

1) VERSION_1 trick won't work, e.g the spec allows to read device
configuration space before FEATURE_OK. So legacy driver may assume a
native endian.
2) SET_VRING_ENDIAN doesn't fix all the issue, there's still a
question what endian it is before SET_VRING_ENDIAN (or we need to
support userspace without SET_VRING_ENDIAN)

Things will be simplified if we mandate the config_ops as the modern
interface and provide the necessary mediation in the hypervisor.

> what's the nomenclature for that,
> quasi-transitional or broken-transitional?

If we invent new API to clarify the modern/legacy and focus on the
modern in the future, we probably don't need a name?

> and what are the outstanding
> issues you anticipate remaining?

Basically we need to check the conformance listed in section 7.4 of the spec.

> If it is device specific or vendor
> driver specific, let it be. But I wonder if there's any generic one that
> has to be fixed in vdpa core to support a truly transitional model.

Two set of config_ops? E.g

legacy_config_ops
modern_config_ops

But I'm not sure whether or not it's worthwhile.

> > For 2), the key part is the datapath mediation, we can use shadow virtqueue.
> Sure. For our use case, we'd care more in providing transitional rather
> than being non-transitional. So, one device fits all.
>
> Thanks for all the ideas. This discussion is really useful.

Appreciate for the discussion.

Thanks