On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 2:14 PM Michael S. Tsirkin <m...@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > This is one way to achieve, though not sure we should stick the only
> > > hope to zero-copy, which IMHO may take a long way to realize and
> > > optimize to where a simple datapath passthrough can easily get to (with
> > > hardware acceleration of coz).
> >
> > Note that, current shadow virtqueue is zerocopy, Qemu just need to
> > forward the descriptors.

> > > We already have Alibaba ENI which is sort of a quasi-transitional
> > > device, right? In the sense it doesn't advertise VERSION_1. I know the
> > > other parts might not qualify it to be fully transitional, but code now
> > > doesn't prohibit it from supporting VERSION_1 modern interface depending
> > > on whatever future need.
> >
> > We can ask ENI developer for their future plan, it looks to me a
> > legacy only device wouldn't be interested in the future.
> >
> > Zongyong, do you have the plan to implement device with VERSION_1 support?

> > > Define non-transitional: device could be either modern-only or
> > > legacy-only?
> >
> > According to the spec, non-transitional should be modern only.

> > > presenting transitional on top of a modern device with VERSION_1, right?
> >
> > Yes, I mean presenting/mediating a transitional device on top of a
> > non-transitional device.
> >
> > > What if the hardware device can support legacy-compatible datapath
> > > natively that doesn't need mediation? Can it be done with direct
> > > datapath passthrough without svq involvement?
> >
> > I'd like to avoid supporting legacy-only device like ENI in the
> > future. The major problem is that it's out of the spec thus the
> > behaviour is defined by the code not the spec.

> > > What do you mean work as-is,
> >
> > See above, basically I mean the behaviour is defined by the vDPA code
> > not (or can't) by the spec.
> >
> > For example, for virtio-pci, we have:
> >
> > legacy interface: BAR
> > modern interface: capability
> >
> > So a transitional device can simple provide both of those interfaces:
> > E.g for device configuration space, if it is accessed via legacy
> > interface device know it needs to provide the config with native
> > endian otherwise little endian when accessing via modern interface.
> >
> > For virtio-mmio, it looks to me it doesn't provide a way for
> > transitional device.
> >
> > For vDPA, we actually don't define whether config_ops is a modern or
> > legacy interface. This is very tricky for the transitional device
> > since it tries to reuse the same interface for both legacy and modern
> > which make it very hard to be correct. E.g:
> >
> > 1) VERSION_1 trick won't work, e.g the spec allows to read device
> > configuration space before FEATURE_OK. So legacy driver may assume a
> > native endian.
>
> I am trying to address this in the spec. There was a fairly narrow
> window during which guests accessed config space before
> writing out features. Yes before FEATURES_OK but I think
> asking that guests send the features to device
> before poking at config space that depends on those

I'm not sure I get this. For transitional devices, we have legacy
interfaces so legacy drivers should work anyhow even without the fix.

> Similarly, we can also change QEMU to send
> features to vdpa on config access that happens before
> FEATURES_OK.

This only works when the guest driver sets a feature before config
space accessing. And then vDPA presents LE if VERSION_1 is negotiated?
But at the API level, vhost-vDPA still needs to handle the case when
VHOST_VDPA_GET_CONFIG is called before VHOST_SET_FEATURES.

Mandating a LE looks a better way then QEMU can mediate in the middle,
e.g converting to BE when necessary.

> > 2) SET_VRING_ENDIAN doesn't fix all the issue, there's still a
> > question what endian it is before SET_VRING_ENDIAN (or we need to
> > support userspace without SET_VRING_ENDIAN)
> >
> > Things will be simplified if we mandate the config_ops as the modern
> > interface and provide the necessary mediation in the hypervisor.
> >
> > > what's the nomenclature for that,
> > > quasi-transitional or broken-transitional?
> >
> > If we invent new API to clarify the modern/legacy and focus on the
> > modern in the future, we probably don't need a name?
>
> OK. What will that API be like? Maybe a bit in PROTOCOL_FEATURES?

Something like this, a bit via VHOST_GET_BACKEND_FEATURES.

Thanks