What is preventing external connections to TCP port 1111 to connect to
Virtuoso running within a Docker container?

Short story.
I am unable to connect to port 1112 (which is mapped to 1111 in the docker
container construction command) from the external network interface.
I am able to connect to port 1111 from inside the docker container on both
localhost and external network interfaces.
>From the computer on which the docker container is running I am able to
connect to port 1112 (which is mapped to 1111 in the docker container
construction command) if I connect via localhost.
$ time nc -zv localhost 1112;
Ncat: Version 7.50 ( https://nmap.org/ncat )
Ncat: Connected to ::1:1112.

Long story.
The docker container start script has instructions to map host TCP port
1112 to TCP docker container port 1111.
I have installed Virtuoso 7.2.6-dev on a CentOS 7 in a docker image.
In the docker container generation command that spawns a new docker
container from the above image, I have exposed TCP port 8891 (of the host)
to connect to TCP 8890 (of the container), and TCP port 1112 (of the host)
to connect forward to TCP port 1111 (of the container).

>From the docker container hosting computer, I can successfully connect to
port 8891 but I cannot connect to port 1112. See below.

$ time nc -zv ${HOSTNAME} 8891;
Ncat: Version 7.50 ( https://nmap.org/ncat )
Ncat: Connected to 10.74.218.8:8891.
Ncat: 0 bytes sent, 0 bytes received in 0.02 seconds.

$ time nc -zv ${HOSTNAME} 1112;
Ncat: Version 7.50 ( https://nmap.org/ncat )
Ncat: No route to host.

>From inside the container, I can connect via the "external" network
interface, see below.
[root@172.17.0.2 (7575a832483a) 2019/10/03 11:44:37 +03 scripts]# date;time
nc -zv 10.74.218.8 1112;date;
Thu Oct  3 11:44:43 +03 2019
Ncat: Version 7.50 ( https://nmap.org/ncat )
Ncat: Connected to 10.74.218.8:1112.
Ncat: 0 bytes sent, 0 bytes received in 0.02 seconds.

real    0m0.027s
user    0m0.019s
sys     0m0.008s
Thu Oct  3 11:44:43 +03 2019
[root@172.17.0.2 (7575a832483a) 2019/10/03 11:44:43 +03 scripts]#
[root@172.17.0.2 (7575a832483a) 2019/10/03 11:45:19 +03 scripts]#

The command below shows the configuration for the "ServerPort" variable in
the virtuoso.ini of the Virtuoso instance I have running.
grep -R "ServerPort" virtuoso.ini;
returns the output below.

ServerPort                      = 1111
;SSLServerPort                  = 2111