On 2005-10-21, Joe Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>IEBCOPY  - is a data-set utility used to copy one or more (PDSes)
>>   or merge (PDSes)
> As distributed it wouldn't work under OS/360.  I made a small tweak to
> it (details of which I don't recall but IIRC it involved an appendage)
> and it ran quite happily for several years on OS/360.

I'll have to look at the Hercules OS/360 package, which includes a copy of
IEBCOPY for OS/360...wonder if it's your work.

>>IEBDG    - is a data-set utility to generate test data.
>>   Note. Mostly various ripple paterns.
> "DG" := "Data Generator".  Rather convoluted control cards; I don't
> recall hearing of common use of any but the most basic functions.

I think I've seen it used once. It was unusual enough that I was surprised
to see it. Fuzzy memory tells me it was in HASP setup, but that's likely to
be wrong.

>>IEBUPDAT  - is a dsu to incorporate IBM and user-generated source
>>   language modifications into a symbolic library -- a PDS of
>>   80-byte records, such as SYS1.PROCLIB ...
>>IBUPDTE  - is a dsu to incorporate IBM and user-generated source
>>   language modifications into a sequential or PDS.
> These two served much the same purpose.  UPDAT was more primative,
> but seemed to be more popular.

I never used IEBUPDAT, and didn't even know it existed until this post. I'd
always wondered ablut the slightly strange naming of IEBUPDTE.

>>IEHIOSUP - is a system utility used to update TTR entries in the
>>   transfer control tables of the supervisor call library (SVC lib).
>>   IEHSISUP must be used after: the SVC lib is moved. The OPEN, CLOSE,
>>   TCLOSE, EOV,... & other modules are changed or replaced in the
>>    SVC lib.
> Worse than that: you had to remember to rerun it whenever you replaced
> *any* SVC load.

The initial starter MFT system build for Hercules ran into a chicken-and-egg
problem: How do you run IEHIOSUP to set up the TTRs if you don't have a
system to run it on? Roger Bowler wound up writing a utility that does the
update, by finding SYS1.SVCLIB and processing the PDS directory - and
parsing the AWSCKD image to get there.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC
http://www.conmicro.cx