Craig A. Berry wrote:

When GNV gets to the point where we can use Configure rather than
configure.com and stop maintaining a separate behemoth configuration
script, that's the point where we will need to update support for GNU
make.

There are people looking at getting GNV so that it can handle configure scripts better. Right now though, it is only being supported by HP on 64 bit platforms. I do not know if the current GNV source kit will build on VAX.

I noticed the post on comp.os.vms about bug reports/fixes to GNV posted to sourceforge being unanswered, and I will try to find out what is happening there.

As I remember things, the Source Forge GNV site was set up by OpenVMS users, and not by what is now HP. That may be contributing to the communications problem with items posted there.

Be assured, bug reports are wanted, and fixes are even more wanted. :-)

In the case of the INFO-ZIP and VMSTAR that are bundled with GNV, these are basically maintained externally to GNV and HP, and the HP GNV maintainers are trying to coordinate changes to them with those maintainers.

Interestingly enough, SAMBA V4 seems to have changed to using Perl to generate their configuration information. Other open source projects are also using Perl as part of their build process.

And one of the bottlenecks on some of these processes is that they need perl to only use UNIX format file specifications.

Also, to answer your other question, lstat() showed up in 7.3-1 according to the C header files. Until 8.2 + future RMS SYMLINKS ECO kit, it behaves the same as stat(), and if support for lstat() is not configured, Perl already knows to substitute stat(). And there is no plans to backport these changes to earlier VMS versions or to implement them on VAX.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]