I am looking for some feedback as I try to put the ODS-5, UNIX and POSIX modes in to BLEAD-Perl on VMS.

The correctness and efficiency of the vmsify() and related routines that convert possibly UNIX filenames to VMS format can be enhanced if the caller of the routines can pass some additional hints to it.

Three hints could be used almost immediately:

1. File should exist, so look harder for it. If no extension given, try both a null extension or a ".DIR" extension.

2. Path is a directory.

3. Path is definitely not a directory.

4. Use device names and file-ids for translation. This will be fastest in POSIX mode, but the resulting file name may be for a different link to that file.

I was thinking of having this be an optional parameter, possibly numeric values for flags. I do not know how to represent this in Perl though.

Other cases may come up in the future.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only