Michael G Schwern wrote:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 12:39:00PM +0930, Jeremy Begg wrote:

Where exactly is the problem here?  It looks like Install.PM is assuming the
case of the filenames returned by File::Find is going to match the package
names declared in those files, but is that improper behaviour?

On every operating system but VMS that assumption is pretty safe.  Since
most non-VMS folks are not aware of the existance of non-case preserving filesystems (except maybe DOS) they tend not to code for them.

The discovery technique used in Module::Install is pretty much doomed on a non-case preserving FS. This has come up before and was brought to the author's attention (ie. Autrijus). I'm not sure what came of it. Two work arounds come to mind. Look for /^package ($module_name)/i in the files in question in order to get the correct case. Or it can use the MANIFEST to correct case.

Well, I am trying to get the VMS case preserving mode into blead-perl.

I have it working on my local copy of Perl 5.8.7.

There is another issue though. The tools that unpack the archives may not always preserve the case.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only