On Jun 23, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Craig A. Berry wrote:

>> I found the problem.  My system has the logical name ARCHIVE defined on it.
>> Building at a time when I could delete that logical allowed the build to
>> complete.
>

> Perhaps enabling DECC$DISABLE_TO_VMS_LOGNAME_TRANSLATION would avoid the
> problem without needing to delete the logical name.  If anyone has a chance
> to try that, please do so and report back.

It would appear that it does.  However, I did still have to remove all the
other DECC logicals I had defined (all related to mixed-case and extended
filenames) as the build procedure otherwise seriously choked on the presence of
ODS-5 pathnames (I am building on an ODS-5 disk).  None of the DECC logicals I
had in place were flagged as dangerous by configure.com.  Here are the 3 I
normally keep defined:

  "DECC$ARGV_PARSE_STYLE" = "ENABLE"
  "DECC$EFS_CASE_PRESERVE" = "ENABLE"
  "DECC$EFS_CHARSET" = "ENABLE"