On Dec 16, 2012, at 10:12 AM, John E. Malmberg <wb8...@qsl.net> wrote:

> Bash 4.2.39 is the current release and patch level of the GNU bash project
> and is now available for OpenVMS.

Thanks very much John, and congratulations.  This has been sorely needed for a
very long time and I know you've put a lot of work into it.

> Items of specific interest to the to the VMS Perl community are:
>
> Recent versions of Perl will go into a UNIX mode when run under Bash 4.2.39.

Yes, basically several pertinent CRTL features will be set.  See
<http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/vms/vms.c#l14004>, though that
line number will change as development continues.

> I have not yet attempted to run the Perl configure script under Bash 4.2.39.

That would be a pretty major undertaking.  While it's a tantalizing prospect to
think we could eventually avoid maintaining the 7000+ lines of configure.com
and just use the Configure shell script, it's a long ways from happening and
might not be the best way to spend scarce resources.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigbe...@mac.com

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser