On 9/19/2013 1:36 PM, Nicholas Clark wrote:

If I delete the perldoc.com, I get this:

$ perldoc
Can't open perl script "perl_root:[utils]perldoc.com": no such file or directory
%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort

(mail client may wrape the line)
LION> show sym perldoc
PERLDOC == "$PERL_ROOT:[000000]PERL.EXE perl_root:[utils]perldoc.com "-t""

The install/setup procedure creates a set of foreign commands similar to Bash aliases.

Attempting to run perldoc.com by it self fails as it does not like its name. It looks like it is set up to only be run as a parameter to perl.

The .com suffix was apparently added for some reason, but running the com procedure directly just says not to run it that way in so many words. So that is a bit confusing to me.

To make things run under GNV Bash some helper scripts can be used, assuming that the logical name PERL_ROOT is set up.

BASH-4.2$ cat /usr/bin/perl
#! /bin/sh
/perl_root/perl $*
BASH-4.2$ cat /usr/bin/perldoc
#! /bin/sh
perl /perl_root/utils/perldoc.com -t $*
BASH-4.2$
BASH-4.2$ perldoc -t
Usage: perldoc.com [-hVriDtumFXlT] [-n nroffer_program]
    [-d output_filename] [-o output_format] [-M FormatterModule]
    [-w formatter_option:option_value] [-L translation_code]
    PageName|ModuleName|ProgramName

Examples:

    perldoc.com -f PerlFunc
    perldoc.com -q FAQKeywords
    perldoc.com -v PerlVar

The -h option prints more help.  Also try "perldoc.com perldoc" to get
acquainted with the system.                        [Perldoc v3.19]

So, my question is, surely that file should be installed as
"utils/perldoc.COM" not "utils/perldoc"?
And if so, where in ExtUtils::MakeMaker does it need fixing?

(Does anyone on VMS actually install modules from CPAN that have scripts?)

I do not know.

Regards,
-John
malmberg@encompasserve.organization