:: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:: I am evaluating VNC and PCanywhere.  In PCanywhere , we have facility
:: of Chat between Host and the Client , File transfer is possible
:: and,Session recording .  Can anyone please tell that if these are
:: also present in VNC.

: Michael Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: Don't forget to evaluate cost.  Some of those other features can be
: found in other packages and still keep the cost below licenses for
: PCAnywhere.

VNC support for file transfer and chat is intentionally low,
following the unix philosophy of one tool for one purpose; if
you want to chat, you start some im tool, if you want to transfer
files you start some file transfer tool, and so on.

There are additional tools to record and play back VNC sessions, but I'm
not sure they are ported to protocol version 4 yet, so you might
have to use a version 3 client and server for best results.  Does anybody
know about that?

       http://cyberelk.net/tim/rfbproxy/

If you don't want a separate file transfer or chat tool, there are
some alternatives.  There's ultravnc which incorporates file transfer
for windows clients/servers,

       http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

and a simple method of chatting is to bring up an edit buffer on the
shared desktop and take turns typing into it; simple and easy.

Bottom line: the stock release hasn't got file transfer, chat, or
session management, but all these things can be done either by
additional tools (eg, ssh/scp/sftp, xchat, rfbproxy, respectively) and
some can be done for simple cases directly (ie, use cut and paste to
transfer small files, and a shared editor for chat).  And finally, some
of these exist in VNC variants like ultravnc.

If you are using windows-only, so that using separate tools for file
transfer and chat is a bit more clumsy than on unix, PCAnywhere may be
what you need (at a larger fee); if you have some folks using mac or
unix that need to participate in remote access, or need multiple
viewers, multicasting, or other "classroom" features, then VNC shines.

Wayne Throop   [EMAIL PROTECTED]