> Yes, the window name and class are hard-coded at the moment, which is a bit
> nasty.  I'll add a "-name" option in the next release.  If you're happy
> recompiling from source you can easily change the "res_name" line above to
> be:
>
> classHint.res_name = (char*)name;
>
> That will mean you can at least use the default window name ("VNC:
> <desktop-name>") to identify different viewer windows to the window manager.
>
> Cheers

Thanks, but the change you suggested there really won't do me any good.  I
need to be able to differentiate on a per-viewer basis, not on a per-desktop
basis.  I have two different behaviors for vnc clients which attach to this one
server:
   user : a tiny client window which shows only typical controls of the
             interior application
          which has no decorations
          which is a permanent resident in all my sessions
          whose geometry is dependent on the resolution and screen number of
             the particular session
   admin: a full-sized client window with enough room for the interior
             application's menus, dialogs, etc.
          which has ordinary window decorations
          which I only call up when I need it
          which has no particular x,y geometry and gets placed as the window
             manager sees fit

Nobody has said anything about the lack of X11 resource support in vncclient.
Is that something that was removed from RealVNC 4.0?  Or was it something
that never was there in your branch of vnc, and which the TightVNC folks
added only in theirs?  Is it something that you would consider for RealVNC?

--
Todd Allen