Mary,

The problem is that you're being ambiguous as to which password you mean.
The VNC Authentication password is not passed from viewer to server, instead
a challenge-response scheme is used.  All other data, including passwords
you type into the remote machine, are passed in the clear.
(NB: Enterprise Edition supports an encrypted version of VNC Authentication,
to which the above comments do not apply)

Challenge-response means that the server issues a challenge to the viewer,
which the viewer then modifies in a pre-agreed way using the supplied
password, to get the response, which the server can then verify.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.