Since my last posting, I've been trying to play devil's advocate with this technology. I've been trying to imagine legitimate scenarios for using this technology in a business environment. So far, I haven't been able to do it. It still seems to be a technology whose primary purpose is to thwart firewalls and company usage policies.

Perhaps Alex or other listers who are using the technology could provide some examples of how Hamachi is or could be used in a positive, legitimate fashion.

Alex Pankratov wrote:

Paul Haskew wrote:

While I am glad to see the main designer/developer here, I do not wear tin
foil hats. :P I am just a concerned IT Admin, who will at one point will
have to make a decision about this program.

TCP/11975 ;-)

Also, about trusted outsiders, I am not worried about me setting up trusted
persons. I am worried about those who have computer access, a little
knowledge, and try to set this up and allow someone incorrect access. Thus
compromising what is currently in place without realizing it.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for making things as simple as possible for end
users. Also, this is a wonderful idea, I am just hoping that certain
safeguards or means of prevention will also be made avail with the product.

Agreed. It is very hard to find the balance so that 'tolerant to accidental misuse' wouldn't become 'unusable out of the box'. I am not a sys admin, so any suggestions as to what these safeguards should be are really welcomed. _______________________________________________ VNC-List mailing list VNC-List@realvnc.com To remove yourself from the list visit: http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list

--

Bob Hartung, Dir of I.T.
c\o Wisco Industries, Inc.
P. O. Box 10