On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 08:13:29AM +0700, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:
> Hello Peter,

> >While implementing some vnc software I noticed a problem in the RFB
> >spec (version 3.8, 5 October 2006). It fails to mention that there is
> >no security result for authentication method 'None' for protocol
> >version 3.3. As this differs from at least version 3.8 I think there
> >should be some words on this topic in the spec.
>
> This is documented, see the page 13 of the specification:
>
>   6.2 SECURITY TYPES
>
>   6.2.1 None
>
>   No authentication is needed and protocol data is to be sent
>   unencrypted.
>
>   Version 3.8 onwards The protocol continues with the SecurityResult
>   message.
>
>   Version 3.3 and 3.7 The protocol passes to the initialisation phase
>   (section 6.3).

Hi Constantin,

How embarrassing. Oh well, that explains why I got it right in the
server code, but didn't remember needing to work around this problem
when the problem was found in my client code.

Side note: a certain Windows only "VNC" client is a true pest when you
are implementing a server and want to be compatible, that for sure
took some workarounds (Oh great, you can do 3.8, then I want 3.4,
oh and 3.4 means that I will do this and that and whatnot. What crap).
The companion server in said "VNC" suite is more friendly.
How do other true VNC servers handle this rouge client?

Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
Peter