Their anti virus or defender probably stopped the proper install

Robert Andrews wrote:
I, a Mac user, want to connect to my parents' Windows Vista laptop desktop.

I've read instructions after instructions, including the good-looking guide
at
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=188808&messageID=2441646#2441646
.

* The gist seems to be that RealVNC server *can* run under Vista - in User
Mode. So I've had my parents do that.
* Windows Defender - They've added an "Always Allow" action for C:\Program
Files\RealVNC\VNC4\vncconfig.exe (can find no trace of winvnc4.exe)
* Windows Firewall - And I guess they should add an exception so the
programme is allowed to run. But for which file?

1. Can RealVNC Free Edition server run under Vista, in User Mode or
whichever?
2. How? How? How?

Should I look toward UltraVNC instead? If so, got step-by-step instructions?

Thanks.