Michael

in your situation it may be easier to use a service that manages the
nat traversal etc for you (given her IP address may change at any time
& it would be difficult for you to fix that remotely).

a couple options are:
EchoVNC: http://sourceforge.net/projects/echovnc
Yoics (full disclosure, my company): http://yoics.com

in both cases, you should be able to remote login using just a browser.

best

Ryo