Mike,

WRT54G Linksys Router
Cox digital - I assume this is a fixed MAC address (tied to your PC)
Assume this is the only PC you have - you do not say if there are other or if
this is DHCP (variable IP address)

SO assuming this is 1 computer connect through the router
Put the IP address of the router in your browser 192.168.1.1 is default. Enter
your login name or password (or the default listed in the Linksys user manual
if you have not set it.)
Select the tabs - Gaming and Applications. Then the tab Port Forward Range.
Application - Enter what you wish ex VNCW2000
Start 5900 (this is the first port number but you can select another 5901,
5902, etc) as long as the screen IP matches within screen 0 = 5900 screen 1 =
5901
End 5900 (same one as start)
Protocal = Both (leave at default)
IP address - the first on on Linksys is usually 192.18.1.100. If you have set
something else, hover mouse over VNC icon in system tray on lower right of your
computer and enter that IP address.
Click the box with a check to enable this line.

You can set up as many as you like. One for each computer if you have more than
one and only enable the one you need if you have DHCP. In any case the Router
IP and port above MUST match the IP and port used in VNC when trying to connect.

There is also a web site on routers i believe at VNC.com by searching for it.
Those directions are more detailed than here.

As far as the SBCglobal 2wire router, you may go to 2wire.com and/or contact
AT&T and find out how to get into the router. I believe the login requires the
serial number on the bottom of the router. I don't like them because then SBC
controlled it not the user.

Hopefully the process is basically the same. SBC.Yahoo! i use (now AT&T) and it
is DSL line and DHCP (unless she paid for a fixed IP address). Therefore, when
you all connect, one of you will have to get the public IP of the other and
enter it into VNC. It can be obtained by typing into your browser checkip.org
or if you use Firefox as I do - download the extension showIP. The IP address
is automatically displayed in the bottom right corner of Firefox.

Another option is to use one of the web sites which translates IPs into fixed
IPs so you do not have to change anything. Can't recall the name of the two of
them (but it is listed in your router web browser)

If you need anything else to help set it up let me know. I have spent many
hours figuring out these things on my own and worked with my brother testing
his systems - W2000, WXP, W98, Mac OS X.

Dale Eshelman
Kansas City, MO