Hi, Peter

Before you start playing with the services take a look at what programs are started up at boot time, How many icons are there on in the bottom RIGHT HAND part of the task bar. The list of these auto-started tasks can be found by runnning regedit and looking at these two entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window\Current\Version\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Window\Current\Version\Run

First export the key to a text file where you can find it, then remove items such as QuickTime, or Java update etc. You could practice on your own computer before trying these actions on your fathers PC.

In general it is not a good idea to interefere with Windows networking services!!

Regards

Ceri Hankey
,Peter Bunn wrote:
Hello:

I help maintain my Dad's (Windows XP Home) computer using VNC over SSH... from a distance of about 1500 miles.

I would like to disable some Windows Services on his computer to (hopefully) reduce boot time and speed up the computer a bit.

My understanding of what Windows services are required by VNC and SSH isn't clear. There are a number of services that affect network and remote access capabilities. I'm uncertain (not knowing much at all about networks) as to whether the VNC/SSH connection actually constitutes a 'network' or whether I could safely disable the network related Windows services? (My Dad is not networked to any other computer at home, nor is he likely to need the capability.)

Similarly, are the remote access Windows services only required for Windows' default remote desktop capability or for (Real) VNC as well?

My Dad is pretty helpless when it comes to computer configuration of any kind and I do <NOT> want to disable anything required by either VNC/SSH as it would require an onsite tech to put things right.

I'm wondering if anyone here can help advise me about this...?

Thanks Very Much.

Peter B.

-----