On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, James Weatherall wrote:

Further to my previous mail, I'm not sure that the current VNC Viewer for Mac OS X releases support server names specified directly on the command-line, although specifying a ".vnc" file on the command-line instead should work.

VNC Servers are referred to in one of two ways:

<name|ip>:<port|display>
<name|ip>::<port>

Where "name" is a DNS name, "ip" an IP address (IPv6 addresses must be enclosed in square brackets for clarity), "port" a TCP port number and "display" a VNC display number in the range 0-99. The single-colon format assumes display values of 100 or above to be port numbers.

"localhost" should be equivalent on an IPv4-only host. If a system also supports IPv6 then specifying 127.0.0.1 indicates that IPv4-based loopback should be used, whereas "localhost" will normally try using IPv6 and fall-back to IPv4 if that fails.

It sounds like this might be the best general approach:

127.0.0.1::25901

It clearly specifies "IPv4" and the port. I'll try the vnc file with the Mac OS X viewer to see if it works.

Thanks much, Wez.

Mike