Peter,

It sounds like your video app may be using video overlays.  Some apps provide
an option to choose whether to use video overlay rendering or VMR7 or VMR9 -
Windows Media Player, for example, has an option allowing you to prevent it
from using overlays.  If you disable overlays then the video app will become
visible to VNC.  You may also want to switch to the VNC Server into "polling"
mode.

VNC Free Edition 4.1.3 won't remote the audio for you, BTW.

Cheers,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd