This was in another thread, but I broke it out into it's own conversation.
Someone had asked:

---

Hi,

I am joining this thread late, but, would anyone out there be interested in
exchanging traffic with other carriers directly over SIP?

The service would just look like a carrier, except it would know how to reach
all other participants directly with SIP, bypassing TDM land, and enabling rich
media as a fringe benefit, as media would be direct between endpoints.

I have a proof of concept and am wondering who out there might be willing to do
some testing.

Email me directly if interested, to talk about your network and how something
like this might fit in.

Cheers,

Jawaid ---

https://www.voip-info.org/the-voice-peering-fabric/

I can't find anything on this in 15 years, so I'm guessing it didn't work out
for one reason or another. Can anyone impart some history there?

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com