Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Opposite and Negation:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_09_16-2007_09_22.shtml#1190140451


   One of the legal tests for causation turns on whether an intervening
   act was "abnormal." In my criminal law class last week, I pointed out
   that if the act was abnormal, the result would be X, but if the act
   was not abnormal, then it would be Y. I also flagged for students that
   "not abnormal," clumsy as the phrase is, isn't quite the same as
   "normal." But there was a bit of confusion about how "not abnormal"
   can indeed be different from "normal."

   I thought the issue -- the difference between opposites and negations
   (is there a better term than "negation," by the way?) -- was worth
   briefly explaining to my first-semester law students, so that's what I
   plan to do this afternoon. Here's what I plan to say:

   1. Many adjectives have both an antonym and a negation. The antonym of
   "tall," for instance, is "short" -- it's at the other extreme of the
   height spectrum from "tall." But the negative of "tall" is not
   "short." Many people, after all, are neither short nor tall; the
   negative of tall includes both the short and the ones in the middle.
   Thus, "not tall," clunky as it is, means something different from
   "short."

   2. The English negative prefixes -- "non-," "un-," "in-," and the like
   -- sometimes mean opposite and sometimes mean negative (and sometimes
   something altogether different). "Illegal" pretty much means "not
   legal." "Abnormal," on the other hand, doesn't quite mean "normal" --
   there are things in between normal and abnormal (say, the relatively
   rare but not very rare) that would qualify as "not abnormal."
   Likewise, "not unhappy" is not the same as "happy" (even setting aside
   cases where "not unhappy" is used for some rhetorical effect).

   As a general matter, when some quality is either present or not (e.g.,
   legal or illegal), the antonym is the same as the opposite. But if
   there's a spectrum (e.g., short to tall), the antonyms often differ
   from the opposites.

   3. Exercises:

   a. What's the negation (not antonym) of "positive number"?

   b. (Borrowed from Lewis Carroll:) What's the negation (not antonym) of
   "once there was a princess"?

   c. What's the negation of "lean and mean"? (This is a good way of also
   introducing DeMorgan's Law.)

                                   * * *

   Any suggestions about this? Is it so obvious that first-semester law
   students are sure to already know all about this? Are there some
   better examples I can use, or some easier ways of explaining it?

   Of course, I realize that this isn't quite teaching law; but I think
   this is important for lawyers to know, and in my experience throwing
   in a few minutes of general knowledge every so often makes class more
   fun.

_______________________________________________
Volokh mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.powerblogs.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/volokh

Reply via email to