Posted by Orin Kerr:
Developing a Comment Culture:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_25-2009_01_31.shtml#1233215010

   In the last few ays, [1]Balkinization and [2]Above the Law have
   introduced new comment policies. Balkinization is mostly turning
   comments off, in light of the fact that its comment threads were
   pretty much unreadable: Above the Law is hiding them a bit and taking
   a somewhat more aggressive approach to moderation. Over at [3]CoOp,
   Dan Solove comments:

     It seems to me that different blog commenting cultures arise on
     different blogs. I bet that the readership for Balkinization and
     Concurring Opinions overlaps quite a bit, yet I have noticed that
     the comments at Balkinization are much as Jack describes them [that
     is, nasty and nonsubstantive]. Why have commenting cultures
     developed so differently at different blogs? I don't really know
     the answer, and it would be interesting to figure out why
     commenting cultures develop in the ways that they do.

     I suspect the explanation rests largely on the different moderation
   policies at different blogs. If a blogger doesn't moderate comment
   threads at all on a widely read blog, trolls realize they can do their
   thing and actually reach a decent-sized audience. The trolls
   eventually push out the more thoughtful people: You end up with a
   mess, or, as Brian Leiter would put it, a "cess pool." In contrast, if
   bloggers moderate their threads reasonably well, deleting irrelevant
   or abusive comments -- and in some cases, participating in the comment
   threads themseves -- then you end up with a shift in culture over
   time. Readers begin to expect that the comment threads will be
   reasonably good, or at least entertaining, and more thoughtful people
   consider commenting themselves.
     That's my guess as to what tends to happen, at least. Comment
   moderation policies end up having a profound impact over time on who
   comments, and different approaches either attract thoughtful
   commenters or keep them away. My sense is that Balkinization threads
   were lightly edited if not unedited altogether, with the bloggers
   themselves generally not participating in comment threads: Over time
   that made the comment threads unreadable.