Posted by David Post:
Daschle's Out:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_02_01-2009_02_07.shtml#1233751358

   I was surprised to wake up this morning and find out that (a) Tom
   Daschle had withdrawn his candidacy to be Sec'y of HHS, and (b) the
   story was reported in the Washington Post but not yet up here on the
   VC!! In any event, he is gone -- and I think Obama made the right call
   jettisoning his candidacy ("Did I screw up in this situation?
   Absolutely" he told Brian Williams of NBC yesterday). It wasn't just
   the taxes -- it was the fact that Daschle, who moved into an insanely
   high-paying lobbying job right out of the Senate, was just the sort of
   guy Obama promised to rid us of, and I'm not at all sorry to see him
   disappear from the scene. [1]DGP