Posted by Jonathan Adler:
Read the Bill - A Response to Orin:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_20-2009_09_26.shtml#1253748180

   I won't speak for David, but as I've also [1]blogged in support of the
   idea that legislators have an obligation to read legislation before
   they vote on it, I'll answer [2]Orin's questions.

   1. I believe no legislator should vote in favor of substantive
   legislation that he or she has not read or does not understand. If
   such a bill comes to a vote, the legislator should abstain or vote
   against the bill. Why is it okay to vote against the bill and not for
   it? Because a legislator should not act to alter or impose legal
   rights or obligations without understanding the changes in legal
   rights or obligations that he or she is imposing. A vote against
   legislation is a vote to preserve the status quo, and by voting
   against legislation a legislator is not altering anyone's rights or
   obligations. [Note: This does suggest a status quo bias, more than a
   libertarian one, as I think this principle should apply whether a law
   would increase or decrease the scope of government.]

   2. Where legislation is a string of amendments to existing laws, a
   legislator should read what is necessary to understand the
   legislation. This probably requires reading the bill and, if the bill
   is unintelligible when read in isolation, some sort of before/after
   comparison of every provision of the U.S. Code that would be revised.

   3. If a legislator does not believe he or she can ever vote in favor
   of legislation that contains a certain type of provision -- a tax
   increase, a provision supporting or limiting abortion, or whatever --
   it would certainly be sufficient to stop reading once a legislator has
   reached an objectionable provision. As noted above, I also think it is
   reasonable for a legislator to vote against any and all legislation
   that he or she has not had the opportunity to read.

   4. I would not excuse particularly popular legislation. If legislation
   is that popular, a delay of a day or two won't prevent its passage. I
   suppose there is an argument for excusing the failure to read lengthy
   legislation in emergency circumstances. On the other hand, if the
   nature of the emergency and length of the bill are such that a
   legislator does not have time to read the bill I would be quite
   suspicious about the wisdom of the legislation if for no other reason
   than if there's not time to read the bill, how could there have been
   time to draft a coherent and effective piece of legislation?

   5. Since I think the legislators primary obligation is to read and
   understand substantive legislation before voting in favor of it, I
   don't think the standard applies to procedural votes. It would make
   sense, however, for a legislator to vote against ending debate before
   having read the bill, as this would provide time for legislators to
   read the bill.

   6. Yes. Even though I would like to see the size and scope of the
   federal government shrunk dramatically, I think the legislators
   obligation is to read and understand that which he or she would
   legislate -- that is, that which he would do to alter existing legal
   rights or obligations -- so I would apply it to measures that would
   shrink the government as well.

   Would my approach make it more difficult to enact legislation?
   Probably. Would it make it more difficult to pass widely supported or
   particularly important legislation? I doubt it. After all, if
   legislation is that good or that popular (even if not both), it should
   be able to withstand this requirement.

   One final note: Of course this requirement is not enforceable. In an
   ideal world, legislators would recognize that reading and
   understanding legislation before they vote for it is a part and parcel
   of their obligation as legislators, and voters would not reelect those
   legislators that cannot or will not fulfill this obligation. I am
   under no illusion that this will actually happen, but it is a
   principle worth supporting nonetheless.