I looked at that link that Brooke put up about Bohnenberger's Electroscope. I don't know what your specific arrangement needs to be, but it appears you need a plus and a minus HV wrt ground in the most general form. If so, then this would mean having to split the voltage of a single cap, or have two caps, one for each polarity.  Then I'd recommend using good old microwave oven caps. You could charge them both to say 2 kV from one HV source, then switch them around so they're stacked and grounded at the midpoint.

Ed