--- Jed Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am aware that some readers here also feel that the
> global warming
> hypothesis is wrong. However, let me say to those
> readers: you people
> are wrong, and I do not particularly want to hear
> from you today,
> thanks all the same.
I don't know if it is correct or not, but I remain
open minded to both possibilities. I say, yes, let us
reduce pollution. But no, do not do it in a way that
will harm people. And you know damned well many of the
things people (probably) like you would do absolutely
would. But maybe you don't want to hear from them
today, thanks the same? What have you PERSONALLY given
up to do your part? You bought a Prius. Feel good,
great. Most can't afford that. How cold do you
tolerate it in winter? Some of us do, by choice, to
use as little as we need. But as CCR said, "when you
ask, how much should I give? They only answer, MORE
MORE MORE!"
You buy green energy. An electron is an electron, and
by buying green power (so called) you are not making a
new windmill appear from nowhere. But it makes you
feel good, so fine. Do it, free country. Now, I
suggested building windmills, getting people involved.
Doesn't your god want that? It's what he says with the
volunteerism tripe. No takers.
Furthermore, you and those like you don't run the
list. Neither do I or those like me (if any). William
J. Beaty runs it. Until he says, cease and desist, you
may just have to deal with hearing from "those
people."
Lastly, you sound religious in your conviction. I
assume if someone, someday, finds that global warming
doesn't exist in any meaningful sense (you know darn
well what I mean), and we are not all doomed, and we
don't all have to give up everything to 'help'
(what?), it would be as Earthshattering for you as
finding bones in the tomb of Jesus Christ would be to
a fundamentalist.
Me, I think things aren't so bad, to be honest, at
least as long as people leave each other the hell
alone.
> Many scientists have criticized McKubre for
> speculating on 60 Minutes
> about how cold fusion may solve the energy crisis. I
> think these
> people are out of line, and I think McKubre was
> fully justified. A
> scientist has a social responsibility to make
> reasonable
> extrapolations from his own data. If his data
> indicates that he may
> have a solution to the energy crisis, his job is to
> report that fact
> to the public. Fleischmann and Pons did this in
> 1989. They were
> completely justified and it turned out they were
> right.
Great, make me a pot of coffee via excess heat and
I'll dance the jig. Until then, it isn't an answer,
and neither is screaming about 'waaaaah! they don't
believe we're killing the poor poor planet!
waaaaaaaaah!'
Building actual power plants, NOW, with what we have
that we KNOW works, is the answer. But I see all these
people driving around with 'support wind energy' and
'OBAMA! HOPE!' on their SUV's and crap, and realize...
You people don't actually care. You just like to feel
like you did something, and not actually have to grab
a shovel and hammer. It's nonprescription Zoloft for
the hurting greenie's soul. So here's MY plan:
We go out to the deserts, and we start building power
plants to collect solar energy. Wind too, if you like.
This will cost little, because we will make convicts
do the work. (hey, if your side can press for
mandatory national service, which is illegal, we can
force convicts to labor, which IS legal!)
There will be no environmental impact statement. There
will be armed guards, carrying M-16', SIG SG550's, and
so on. Whatever kind of gun you like. Anyone coming
there to protest will be allowed to, but we won't
listen. Anyone attempting to interfere with the work
will be shot, no exceptions. There will be no
lawsuits; there is an energy crisis, and we've a
planet to save, and all. To pay for any shortfalls, we
will institute a tax on environmentalists, which
really isn't a tax; you all want to do your part,
right?
Convicts who work well will be pardoned sooner, and
will be given job recommendations for having worked on
this important project. Young people will be
encouraged, join the new energy corps. It won't be
called alternative energy, because fossil fuel will
become the alternative, hardly used, once we're done.
...but someone would have to do work, wouldn't they?
Cheers,
--Kyle