From: William Beaty [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fw: New Shoulders Paper

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Jones Beene wrote:
> billb wrote:
> > With one meter of distance, the capacitance between the "lighting
> > circuits" is tiny at 1meter separation.  Such a charge-flow would cause a
> > voltage buildup in the range of millions of megavolts.
>
> For the calculations involved with the Coulomb force, see the following website:
> http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefor.html
> The website does calculations for you using whatever numbers you put in.

Yeah, but that website seems to be written for people who already
understand the physics.  Volts do not arise anywhere in the equations.
If you don't already grasp the voltage issues there, well, that webpage
doesn't teach them.

It's basically this:  if you make a leyden jar, then connect a power
supply with voltage 1,000,000,000,000V, the attraction between the plates
will be millions of tons.  Yeah?  So?  Isn't that what we'd expect?
(The text is almost pretending that the voltage of the "lighting circuit"
remains at 120V the whole time.)

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                            http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci