        From: RC Macaulay [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 8:39 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Ceramics and material science

        Jones made an interesting comment regarding ceramics in his post.
One of my objectives in studying the various threads in this group is try to
keep current on material sciences as it relates to the wonderful new quasi
metal-ceramic technology emerging. Our industry has so many new products in
theory stage waiting for these promising strange and wonderful new
materials.

        For example.. an ultra high speed flywheel design awaits the
material that can withstand the rotational forces in excess of 250 thousand
RPM. To be economically feasible a compact flywheel would need to exceed 750
thousand RPM. Shazzaam! an energy storage unit.

        I actually enjoy the crabbing back and forth between the posters
because in science there has never been anything quite like the internet for
open and free discussion.. err.. well perhaps a well placed kick to the
shins <grin>.
        Way back in the stone age ( 1950's ) we used to sit around talking
about the future, dreaming up  great things to build. One was a suitcase one
man helicopter that could fly nonstop from Houston and back from San Antonio
Texas. The copter we envisioned was powered by a small flywheel, it was
flown by computer ( mind you there were NO computers), the rotors were
opposing rotation driven by a stepless variable speed differential torque
proportioning box consisting of a variation of a ceramic composite type of
air bearing having self lubricating qualities. The rotor blades would
achieve a hardness by centripital forces creating post tension permitting
feathering control. The rotor blade would unfurl like the material of an old
fashion venetian blind. No tail rotor would be required because the opposite
rotation of the rotors would be feathered and proportionally controlled plus
the  rotor assembly would tilt for direction control.
        Today, 50 years later, the only thing  awaiting is the ceramic-metal
materials technology. The Hutchinson Effect website is another hint toward
that possibility. Interesting that some years later I read Joel Chptr 2
about an army of locusts that do not jostle each other .. enter through the
window. Made me consider that it was a description of a one man copter with
a plastic windshield shaped like a grasshoppers head.. hmmm

        The most enjoyable component of this group is the self discipline
that is demonstrated . Fuss if you may, BUT at the end of the day forgive ,
remembering that opposing opinions may both be technically correct, just
different.

        Richard
        .