the thing to recognize also is that the "evangelical" christians are a
minority of christians.  being christian does not mean following
falwell and robertson, believing that god created the earth in 7 days
(i say to let people correct me, they love to)  or that homosexuality
is an abomination (as is eating shellfish, but you dont see
constitutional ammendments banning red lobster).

in fact, teh majority of Earth First, a very militant environmentalist
group, is christian.  they have prayer meetings for various
environmental actions all teh time.

--
"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to
make it possible for you to continue to write"  Voltaire