Incidentally, based on my experiences dealing with people who oppose cold fusion, I do not think any of them -- Park, the Japanese, or the Sci. Am. editors -- has the slightest inkling he might be wrong. They sincerely believe that cold fusion is 100% unadulterated fraud and garbage.

I have to agree with Jed on that. I've seen the same behavior. And it's not a mental behavior. It's a manifestation of a fixed belief. I have little hope for such people.

Though Park is slightly different. I think he likes attention first, and facts second. If cf ever gets publicly accepted in his lifetime, I predict he'll be one of the early ones who "privately knew it all along." Park has some brians (though no tact) and he also is close with at least one prominent cf researcher - so when he smells things starting to turn, he'll choose the winners's side. It's already started. He was quoted a few months ago as saying, "I wouldn't invest in cold fusion just yet." Let's see what investment advice he has in 24 months.

But Happer, Huizenga, Close - SciAm - they've dug themselves so deep, and they, unlike Park, are isolated from the field. I don't think they can dig out.

Steve