----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It's trickier than you would think because that analog ammeter and
shunt still has to pass 166 A with minimal voltage drop

Well it is not necessary to cover the whole range of baterry capability when the testing amp range for the MAHG at low duty. It is much narrower.

Here is what I had in mind - a three range unit, very inexpensive - the purpose being ONLY to confirm that the other digital readings are not way out of line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4678&item=7518795991&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Naudin probably has several scattered around the lab. Not as sexy as that way-cool scope, but it is pretty hard to fool an old ammeter.

Some time ago (the Joe Newman era, everyone agreed that this was the way to go for determining spikey input - I hope that this notion hasn't changed) .... nothing could be more embarassing, from the stanpoint of having a great-looking experiment and web-page - to find out you have made a 20-1 error - especially when all you had to do to catcvh it well in advance, was have a $20 meter handy.

BTW has anyone figured out how to get rid of that annoying red advertisement on the JNL page, short of turning off Java? The Firefox Ad-block applet doesn't see it.

Jones