From: Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, Jan 16, 2015 4:40 am
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: [Vo]:TRISO LENR pellet

Dave--To answer your question about reactor control I offer the following:

Light water fission reactors using U-235, U-233, and Pu-239 fissionable
isotopes depend on thermal or relatively slow neutrons to react with those
isotopes.  The slower the neutron the more likely it will be absorbed by one of
these isotopes and cause it to fission.  Each fission produces more neutrons at
high energies that are slowed down by collisions with water and other material
in the reactor until they are thermalized--at an average energy determined by
the temperature of the reactor.  At criticality the population of neutrons is
steady with as many being produced as are leaking out of the reactor (not to
enter the fuel region again) or being absorbed by materials such as control
rods.    More power is produced as the temperature is decreased because the
average energy of the population of neutrons is reduced and the interaction
rate  with the fissile isotopes in the reactor is increased.  If the power
generated is not extracted from the circulating coolant the temperature goes up
and the reaction rate (fission rate) goes down on average because the energy
spectrum of the neutrons is higher.  This is a negative feed back called a
negative temperature coeff. and is an inherent control feature of the power in
the reactor.  However if the water is cooled again the power increases and
holds the reactor at a selected average operating temperature.  Heat extracted
from the primary coolant of the reactor by a steam generator is such a cooling
mechanism for the primary coolant.

The fissile isotopes also react with faster neutrons at various energies,
however at lower probability than they do with the thermal neutrons.  Thus,
they there are many fewer fissions caused by fast neutrons before they are
thermalized in the reactor during normal reactor critical operation. However,
with a rapid addition of neutron population, power can drastically increase at
a high rate and cause a large increase of fast neutron compared to the thermal
neutron population.  If this happens a condition of "prompt criticality" can
occur and the reactor  can explode because of a high energy production rate.
Reactors are designed to add  a poison--a control rod--to absorb neutrons if
the rate of production--the rate of population increase--is too high.  Such
control rod action avoids prompt criticality.

An accident called a cold water accident can occur in reactors which adds a
slug of cold water to the reactor and causes prompt criticality before the
control rod system has a chance to add poison. This must be avoided to keep the
reactor in tact.

The various assemblies in a core produce differing amounts of power with the
colder regions near the entering coolant producing more power than the hotter
regions.  Thus at higher powers the differential temperature across the core is
greater given a constant coolant flow rate.  To keep the temperatures in a core
closer to an average temperature the flow is increased as more power is
generated.  Fuel assemblies are loaded with differing amounts of fissile
material depending upon the location of the fuel assembly in the core with
higher loading in radial positions that may have a lower neutron population on
average.  The fuel design objective is generally to create a system with even
power generation throughout the core.  Such a condition can only be approached
in practice and changes as fuel is depleted with operation.

Most modern reactors include burnable poisons--for example boron--that are
depleted as the same time the fuel is depleted.  This reduction of the poison
in the fuel allows an increasing thermal neutron population inside the fuel
element and thus maintains an more constant fission rate with time as the local
fissile isotopes decrease.

Bob