Hi Bob,

The calculation I was thinking of was this:

p+7Li → 2*4He + Q (16.8 MeV)
16.8 MeV / ( 2 * 4He * ( 4 nucleons / 4He ) )

= 16.8 MeV / 8 nucleons

= 2.1 MeV / nucleon

The per-nucleon calculation just gives one a sense that the 4He are
traveling pretty fast.  I assume there would be secondary radiation as a
result, but I only have a vague sense of how penetrating it would be.

Eric