On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:17 PM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

You don’t see any quarks.

I believe this ad hoc result falls under the notion of "color confinement,"
meaning you don't find partial color charge in the wild.  Instead you get a
"hadron jet" of quark-antiquark pairs, whose number depends upon the
kinetic energy of the scattering particles.  If we're going to do away with
quarks, we'd better think up an explanation for these jets.

The point being that the name “quark” is merely a place-marker which will
> be returned to when physics has a better understanding.

To replace quarks, we're going to have to come up with an alternative to
the "uud," "udd," etc., description, for describing things like beta +/-
decay, which sounds like a daunting project.

Eric