What you say is interesting and possibly explains something of the economic
considerations relating to nickel that go into the E-Cat.  What caught my
interest in the lack of detail about nickel in the patent application cited
below went back to the earlier thread on the reliability of the Lugano isotope
assays.  If they were intentionally compromised, and were nonetheless used as
evidence in the patent application, this would have endangered the patent, once
granted, if there was a patent suit.

In other words, the lack of mention is a small piece of circumstantial evidence
in support of your hunch that 62Ni was added before the blank run for no
obvious operational reason (e.g., so that the ash analysis would be
compromised).  Not a smoking gun by any means, but interesting nonetheless.