On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

How do we determine that an element's nucleus is an isomer or is in its
> ground state?  Chemically they would behave the same.  We cannot
> conveniently distill the atoms and look at the spectra of the total energy
> of the nucleus very easily.

In general the spin-parity assignments between a nuclear isomer and the
ground state will be different. So 97Tc, in the ground state, has a
spin-parity of 9/2+, while 97mTc, an isomer with a half-life of 91.4 days
and a decay energy of 96.5 keV, has a spin-parity of 1/2-.  There are
various ways to discriminate between two nuclides with different
spin-parities, using things like angular correlation measurements.  So if
the spin-parities are different, presumably they would have been found.
 (This might be a bad assumption.)  Perhaps it is possible to have some
long-lived isomers with the same spin-parity as the ground state.  I do not
know how these isomers would be detected apart from any associated gamma
cascades that follow upon their decays. They would have different masses,
but would the difference be detectable?

 Let me make a proposition (and please tell me if this is easily
> falsifyable):
>
>    -
> *Many elements have large fractions of their nuclei in an
>    isomeric/non-ground state that is highly stable. *
>
> I'm guessing that for this situation to be hard to detect, we'd need (a) a
very long half-life, (b) a decay straight to the ground state, with no
competing transitions to a lower level above the ground state, and (c) the
same spin-parity as the ground state.  I only have a concrete justification
for (a) and (c).

Could the the primary branch of such an isomeric transition be low energy
> gamma that is predominantly absorbed in the apparatus?

Someone else will know this better, but either the transition energy will
have to be very small indeed for the gamma not to be penetrating (less than
20 keV?), or there'd need to be unexplored physics to explain why the gamma
decay branch is overwhelmed by another branch such as internal conversion,
which is perhaps a question unrelated to the isomerism by itself, although
it might be related to whatever could trigger the transition.

Eric