It opens a complete different window on the Universe.
The analogy that is often given is imagine the cosmic show is like a TV
show. Until now we had video but not audio. Finally we turned the audio on.
Gravitational waves are a different but complementary way to observe the
universe.
We already learning things we could not learn before just using EM
radiation. For example that there are black holes systems with such large
masses.
This has consequences in terms of galaxy evolution and how stars were
formed.
And this is just the beginning.
The ultimate price is when we will see the gravitational waves from Big
Bang.
While the Microwave Cosmic Background tell us abut the universe at a very
early stage (500 K years) we cannot receive any earlier information about
the universe using EM radiation.
The equivalent gravitational wave background when detected will tells
information from a fraction of a second after the Big Bang. Only
gravitational radiation can give us a picture of the universe that early.

Also information from events like the one just observed eventually would
give us clues on how gravity and quantum mechanics work together.
The consequences of this discovery are enormous.