From: David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, Feb 12, 2016 1:03 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:LIGO Gravity Waves... So what?

Sounds impressive!  Perhaps I was a bit too skeptic and am warming up to the
idea.

If a collision 1 billion plus light years away produces a 24 dB SNR, then it is
going to be amazing how clean a collision only 1 million LY's away will
produce.  I would guess the amplitude would be a million times as large if the
inverse squared law applies.

That ratio of amplitudes would lead me to assume that the generation of
detectors before this one were far, far less sensitive or that there just
happened to be no collisions during the sample time at these distances.  Has
anyone address this issue?

Dave