H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

In my question I said if you only had an LED. That implies a resistor is
> not available.

Well, in that case, you simply prevent any light from leaving the LED.
Cover it with something. Then put it in a box with a very sensitive light
meter to conform that nothing is escaping from it.

You can generate heat from a mechanical device such a wind-up toy with
similar methods. That is a classic 19th century experiment.

I don't see how this would arise in the real world, but perhaps it might.
Similar problems arose with the development of silicon integrated circuits.
Silicon is not a good choice of materials for many cell components such as
resistors. It had to be used, because it is a semiconductor, but it did not
lend itself to that purpose.