From: Jones Beene [mailto:jone...@pacbell.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:44 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Bremsstrahlung radiation

-----Original Message-----
From: H LV

> In the Lugano test dosimeters were used to check for gamma/xray emissions at
> more than 50 cm from the reactor... over the 32 day duration test it looks
> like the dosimeters didn't record anything above background... If the MFMP
> reactor resembles the Lugano reactor why didn't the dosimeters register any
> radiation?

I may sound like a broken record on this but it is fairly obvious: remove the
lead bricks - the "apparent" radiation goes away. No lead at Lugano.

The operative difference was the bricks. The lead captures muons which are
documented by the adjoining scintillator as gamma radiation. Some of the muons
are cosmic but some can be produced in the Holmlid effect.

This can be easily tested next time around: remove the lead - the apparent
radiation goes away. In a thesis which was referenced earlier on the known muon
interaction with lead:

"overall the study has demonstrated that effects such as neutron production in
Pb shielding from muon interaction is an important effect in sensitive GRS
experiments as the secondary/tertiary neutrons produced may interact with
target nuclei to produce γ-ray events which could not be accounted for
otherwise"

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OzhUEPLFX44J:https://researchbank.rmit.edu.au/eserv/rmit:161164/Turnbull.pdf+&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#87